Hujjat Ali (a.s) gave the following ten answers to ten different people in favour of knowledge.
1. Knowledge is the legacy of the Prophets, wealth is the inheritance of the pharaohs. Therefore, knowledge is better that wealth.
2. You are to guard your wealth but knowledge guards you. So knowledge is better.
3. A man of wealth has many enemies while a man of knowledge has many friends. Hence knowledge is better.
4. Knowledge increases with distributions, while wealth decreases by that act. Thus knowledge is better.
5. Knowledge is better because it cannot be stolen while wealth can be stolen.
6. Knowledge is better because a learned man is apt to be generous while a wealthy person is apt to be miserly.
7. Knowledge is better because time cannot harm knowledge. But wealth rusts in course of time and wears away.
8. Knowledge is better because it illuminates the mind while wealth is bound to blacken it.
9. Knowledge is better because it is boundless while wealth is limited and you can keep account of it.
10. Knowledge is better because knowledge induced the humanity in our prophet to say to God, “We worship Thee as we are your servants,” while wealth engendered in Pharaoh and Namrood the vanity which made them claim Godhead.”
Lessons from the Wisdom of Imam Ali [as]
Prophet Mohammad[saw] said: “I am the city of science and Ali is its door those who are in need for science should come through the door.”
In another statement he said “I am the city of wisdom and Ali is its door those who are in need for wisdom should come through the door otherwise he is a thief.”
Wisdom is not simply science, wisdom is the background of science,science is the material and wisdom is the scale which determines quantities and timing. Wisdom is the ability of forecasting the results of any human behavior.
Wisdom is a gift from Allah; “He grants wisdom to whom He pleases, and whoever is granted wisdom, he indeed is given a great good and none but men of understanding mind.” Quran, Al-Baqra, Ayyah 269.
“…the advance of communities depends on the intimate collaboration between those who have money and those who have knowledge, lack of this collaboration results in failure of these communities….” –